City Scholars Applied Studies
Congratulations on being selected for City Scholars!
- Book an appointment through MyExperience.uleth.ca with either Erin Kennett ([email protected]) or Joe Rice ([email protected]) to help you through the application process and determine the nature of your course.
Find more information here: Click here for the Career Bridge
- Academic supervisors should be faculty from a discipline that is relevant to the Applied Study project.
- To receive funding, you will need to secure an academic supervisor who is a Prentice Institute Research Affiliate. The Prentice Institute and/or the Career Bridge can assist you with this.
- Once the faculty member agrees to support your Applied Study, you will need to determine the following with your academic supervisor:
- Course discipline, course level (i.e., 3xxx), and course title.
- Academic deliverables and goals of the course (Academic Plan)
Click here to see the list of Prentice Institute Research Affiliates
Contact the Prentice Institute:
Dr. Andrea Cuéllar – Associate Director, [email protected]
City Scholars Applied Studies are ONLY eligible to be registered for disciplinary credit. To earn disciplinary credit, you must submit a work placement and course proposal application to the registrar through the Career Bridge.
- With your work supervisor at the City of Lethbridge, discuss the work placement form.
- With your academic supervisor at the University, discuss the course proposal.
- The course should be registered at either the 3000 or 4000 level.
- Click here to register for disciplinary credit Applied Studies
- Once registered, your Applied Studies Instructor (through the Career Bridge) will host an information session to discuss how the course will work and what to expect.
You will receive an onboarding package in the orientation meeting with your Project Lead and the Prentice Institute. This package contains important documents required for your work term at the City of Lethbridge.
- Ensure that you complete your onboarding package, signing any necessary documents and submitting them to the appropriate supervisor.
The Onboarding Package includes, but is not limited to:
- City of Lethbridge Code of Conduct
- Oath of Confidentiality
- IDEA in the Workplace
- Understanding Workplace Harassment
- IT Security
- Prentice Institute Confidentiality Agreement
- Submit a Determination of Ethics Review through the ARISE system to see if your project will require a Research Ethics Board (REB) approval.
- Once you receive the determination, forward the response to your workplace supervisor, your faculty supervisor, and the Prentice Institute.
- If your project requires REB approval, apply for a CCID through the ARISE system and talk to the Prentice Institute and your faculty supervisor about the next steps needed for ethics approval.
Click here to access the ARISE Determination of Ethics Review form.
Click here for a Determination of Ethics EXAMPLE
Click here to request a CCID through ARISE. *Only if you need an REB ethics approval for your project.
If you have questions about this process, contact the Career Bridge via [email protected]
For more information about the City Scholars program more generally, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]